Saturday, May 15, 2010

NOTES FOR 5.15.2010 (Evening)


(This Evenings Session)

Crazy productive day. Been working on a track since 6:30 this morning. Took an afternoon break for a few hours, then went back to work. Amazing track came together. I dont know what has gotten into me lately. Just full of funky ideas. This track is killer funky jazzy....my perfect style I think.

Notes -

Pan Pan Pan! I cant believe how much cooler the track sounded when I started to pan everything. I always use track automation for panning. I love panning in unreal ways...ways that would never exist in the real world. Also, when panning, if you bounce a sound left to right....and then that sound loops, its good to be symmetric about your panning so the mix doesnt lean. Sometimes lets say you panned like this. X is sound L and R are left and right.

X X X X X
L R L R L

Lets say you panned like that and then you copied and pasted the panning automation like this.

X X X X X X X X X X
L R L R L L R L R L

You mix will lean then to left. So instead, do it like this -

X X X X X X X X X X
L R L R L R L R L R

Then do your copy and pasting. I have gotten into the habit of this. It really helps the mix from leaning to one side or another. Also, dont forget to use your utility tool to make a sound MONO if you are going to be doing less that FULL pans. It will also lean if the sample is already panned before you do your automated panning.

This song, I used gorilla and frog sounds, disguised. Sounded really funky!

I cant express enough how much I love BELL sounds. They can be so spacey. I have mentioned before I love Asian sounds, and bells in Asian keys are just the sweetest sounding thing.

This song is ALL about melody...unlike a lot of my other tracks. It has a CRAZY catchy jazz organ as the main part. It gets stuck in your head.

Be careful when using a synth sound as a 1/4 note HH. Something within you tells you to pan it...but you have to remember to have something sitting in the middle besides the snare and kick for a little more rhythm if you have panned everything else. I left it in the middle even though I felt like it should be panned. I have to remember what it will be like in the club, not just at home.

Adding an extra snappy snare sound or a slow snare sound ONCE every 4 bars adds a lot to the SWING if the sound. I did that today.

Well thats it for today. Ears are fucked. I will chill the rest of the night, and then EQ tomorrow. Amazing to get a track done in 2 days. Thats what happens when everything is organized well, and you are in the groove.

Peace!

FroBot

1 comment:

sebiik said...

If you like bell sounds, try out TheoK Bellsynth 2! It's a free VSTi and sounds very interesting. (If you're on Windows.)

Post a Comment